SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival Entry

Many of you must have seen this quilt before. It is inspired by Fresh Lemons' Winter Rainbow Quilt. Only, I had wanted to make a yellow quilt... I named this one The Lemon Quilt because of its color, of course, but also because it was inspired by her quilt.



This was only my third attempt at a quilt. The earlier ones were The Sunny Orange Quilt and The total disaster of The Paintbox Quilt. I was scared to do so much of piecing. But decided since it was to be a gift for my mom, what the heck!!

Then began the tiresome act of cutting the pieces. I did not have a cutting mat and a rotary cutter at the time, and had to cut all those pieces precisely by a scissors. I did the cutting for 3 days. By this time, my patience was already wearing off... But I decided to stick to it. Just 1-2 hours a day, I promised myself... On the 3rd day, as I looked at the pile of fabric I had cut, I really was proud of myself.




The piecing took just a day... It was a Sunday, and my dear husband and my son decided to sleep in till noon! I got all my piecing done before either of them woke up!!!
Then came the absolutely overwhelming part of quilting it... I had done free motion quilting before, but only on a handkerchief size block. Quilting this 48" x 72" beauty was going to be difficult... (I thought it would be a little bit difficult, never imagining what was in store for me) After 2 days of patient quilting, 3 fingers of my right hand had gone numb!!!



This is my favorite quilt not just because of the way it looks but also because of all the efforts that went into the making of this one!
I'm so proud to present it before you all as a part of the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


Its the first time I'm entering it, and I'm sure your comments will help me go further... For a detailed list of all my projects please visit my old blog here

Thank you all!!!

2 comments :

  1. shruti, WELL DONE!!! I believe that having done it the hard way, you have earned your stripes! wow... I really admire your tenacity and determination and the end-product: BRAVO! :) I just love-love-love it...
    Valentina from faraway Cyprus

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt! I think it is definitely worth all of the hard work you put into it. I can't believe you did this without a rotary cutter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...