SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SSF Post # 20 : Kristy's Special Studio

Hey guys, I'm so sorry. I have to make this short. I'm not well and need to take A LOT OF rest. So a quick intro of my fab friends who'll be posting in the next few days. First up is Kristy. I met her on flickr and she sure has a very special studio! Go check it out today... I'll have another post coming up tomm morning. I'm behind schedule as I could not get this post on yesterday... :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Everyone, I'm Kristy and I blog over at http://stlouisfolkvictorian.blogspot.com/ 
When Shruti mentioned on Flickr that she was hosting a Sewing Space Focus, I wanted to jump on board right away.  Yet after looking at the categories, I wasn't too sure about it.  I mean I didn't have any particular space-saving tricks of the trade, or shiny new tools to show everyone.  In fact, my studio was filled with things that are old and salvaged...yet in my 100+ year old home, it fit right in.
So I'm here participating in the Feature Elements Week, because I'd like to show you some of what I've done to make my space uniquely me and to encourage you to find new uses for something that otherwise might have gone in the trash.
Let's start this off with a quick before pic to show you what I started off with...broken floor tiles, bare walls and what could easily be described as a mess.


Yet, two years later and this is what my studio looks like now.


I found some old wood which might have ended up in the dumpster, only to now be a decorative element on the wall and ceiling.  That drafting table by the window, it was left in the basement by the previous owners of the house. 


Above is a closeup of the wall.  Yes, you guessed it...those are old sewing patterns, and while the zebra curtains aren't old, they sure do add a little something extra to the space.


This is an old dressform and antique dresser, both of which help give the space some character.


While this filing cabinet might look like something that belongs in a lawyer's office, certainly not a quilting studio.  Let's take a peek inside shall we...


It's drawers hold my fabric stash, neatly coordinated by color.
I'm proud of my studio and the old stuff in it, okay so maybe there's a few dust bunnies and maybe things are a little wonky with age; but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks for letting me share my studio with you !! 


6 comments :

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon Shruti. Thanks to Kristy for sharing her space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea for the filing cabinet! I might have to steal that idea someday if I stop using mine for it's "real" purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shruti, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell. Thank you for sharing another craft space with us. I am really enjoying the posts. My room shoul be finished in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kristy for sharing your lovely studio :)
    Wishing you a speedy recovery Shruti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you aren't well. Make sure you do get that rest and get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Kristy's studio. It's perfect!! Feel better Shruti!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...