SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The day I tried Reverse Applique!

I had been thinking about it for a very long time!!!

But I decided to tackle it yesterday...

Reverse Applique!







I decided to choose a simple design... I did not want to be overwhelmed and give up!

So I went back to my comfort zone - Elizabeth Hartman's pattern...

There is something about the way she writes the pattern that makes you feel they are do-able!

I used her Little Leaves Pattern from the book The Practical Guide to Patchwork...


I used 6 layers of fabric for this...

The first is a wonderful grey stripe linen...



Then I used two of my favorite prints from the Flea Market Fancy FQ Bundle...

I paired them with some solids and a pretty purple linen piece!



I just sewed around the design, not forgetting to back stitch EVERYTIME I started or stopped...

Then I used a seam ripper to cut the fabric on the inside of every leaf...

I then trimmed off the petals with a pair of scissors to make it look neat...


I spent a lot of time debating if I should zig zag over the edges, but then I went in favor of leaving it raw edge!

Partly because I really wanted it to be done before my son came back from school!

;)

I also did my maiden attempt at putting a zipper on the back!

And I must say, I'm never going back to envelope backs! This just looks so neat!


I really love the way it turned out!

Happy!!!

Cheers!!!

2 comments :

  1. Great job, especially for a first try! Here's another pillow back idea, that is my default; use the front of a man's shirt, the button placket is the closure, and if you use the pocket, it's an added fun element.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful pillow! You did a great job! I'm off to look at the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...