SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, July 29, 2013

The unnamed one!

This quilt is the one that I have been working on the longest!

I always had a plan for this one - only that I changed it a lot many times!!!

My FIL underwent surgery in April 2012 and that was when I started making the hexies



Plan # 1 : Make a quilt with 1" EPP hexies! Lovely, isn't it???

 They just stayed that - a WIP -  for more than 1 and a half years!


Sometime after my Leherey - I tackled this quilt, again!

Plan # 2 :I decided that if I was thinking of waiting for the hexie garden to grow - it was never going to happen! So I decided to take it up and finish it!

I just added a border of black to the hexagons and made them into a rectangle... I then chopped up some of my linen to add to the top!


Then I drew larger hexagons around the frame with a temporary marker and my favorite Hex N More ruler...


I selected some thread to go with it (I did add a lot of  other colors to it eventually - but this is how it began) and started quilting!!!


I loved where it was going!!! But at the same time, having just finished a super quilted quilt (Leherey) I wasn't ready to tackle another super quilting project!!!


So off the quilt went into my WIP bin (only it no longer was a bin but a large section of the wardrobes that I used to store my fabric in my old sewing room)

After I shifted into my new studio, I once again decided to finish this one...

I got it out of the bin only to find all the hexagons I had marked GONE!

Due to the humidity the markings had vanished!

I just did not have the patience to do it all again! And no, it wasn't due to the fact that I would have to move  my dining room furniture to accommodate the quilt on the floor and then get down on my knees to do the marking and it really hurts when you step your knee on a pin! It was because I had just converted the lovely cottage into the studio of my dreams and wanted my first finish there to be equally stunning.

So here comes Plan # 3: I just started drawing totally random paisleys on the quilt. Large paisleys! And then filled t he remaining space with some free hand swirls!

I then quilted them one at a time! I used four spools of Aurifil 2150 of (I don't know what weight - it was the grey spool) to quilt all the paisleys! And then again Aurifil #2250 of the same weight to fill the remaining pockets... It turned out just like I wanted it to - breath taking!!!


I have not been proud of any of my works so much.This work is a different level altogether! and I really enjoyed making it!


A lot of thought went into each of the quilting design!!!


And I love the fact that it does not clash with my original plan!


I also decided to cut it up into an organic shape! By the time I got to thinking about how I was going to bind it, it was already done and there was no turning back!!!


So I just went on and did something that was doable for me - but which turned out to be the best option for the quilt...


I zig-zagged the raw edges of the quilt and turned them over and did a manual blanket stitch. I used a dark brown crochet thread - a mistake I NEVER plan to repeat. The thread was rough and difficult to pull through. Embroidery floss would have been a better choice. Bit it looked ravishing and was well worth all the sore fingers!


And for now, the wonderful yet unnamed quilt hangs in my studio along with a few of my finishes!!!


Quilt Stats

Name : Unnamed
Size : 54" x 69"
Techniques : EPP Hexagons, Free Motion Quilting (a lot of it), Hand Quilting and blanket stitch edging.
Material used : Scraps from my Paalvi Quilt - Fresh Flowers by Deb Strain, Black Kona Solid, Beige Linen from stash, Aurifil # 2150, 2250, 5018, 1200, 4655, 2135, of course black - 2692 and a lot more that I do not remember!
Experience : Nail biting! Nerve cracking! Heart warming! Scary! Terrifying! to sum it all up - Awesome!!!

What do you think I should name this baby?

Cheers!!!

11 comments :

  1. Wow, that is some beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting is stunning.....I think you should name it Perseverance, because you had tons of perseverance to complete it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Stunning! I love every step of the process in making this quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in aw of how beautiful this is!! I was in aw of Plan A and B ... needless to say the finished product is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just amazing! I'm so proud of what you did with this quilt. You were realistic about what you would do (and what you would not do) with it. You let the disappearing marks lead you to a design change. It is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt is a wonderful creation! It was so interesting to see how your creative process worked and the end result! It is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Storm or tornado would suit this beauty! When I first saw you hexis it reminded me of the tiny particles in a storm (like on the weather channel) and the outer part the farther out view of the winds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might call it Wonderland, or even better : Wonderful-land. It strikes me with a sense of wonder at the beautiful paisleys and the border work. Very very accomplished. Thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...