SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The journey of a maiden - Apsara...

Ever since I made the Portrait quilt, I was dying to make another one which had a figure in it.

But I did not want it to be flat. I wanted it to have a 3rd dimension!

And I did not know how to do that!

But after doing the workshop with Paramjeet earlier this month, I had a vision of how to do it! And it thrilled me!

I finally knew how to make what I was envisioning!!!

And here's my figurine for my next quilt : Apsara aali... (Here comes the angel!)

 



I thought I'd just share the step by step pictures for now... I will share all the details later, when it is complete!

 First is the state my studio was in when I started out with this!!!



Step 01 : The bundle, neck and one hand...


Step 02 : The other hand and the back...


Step 03 : The blouse...


Step 04 : The pallu...


Step 05 onwards : The saree...


Step 06...


Step 07...


And here's the Apsara ready to be stitched on to the quilt top!!!


I did a lot of experimenting with this one!!! And I'm so happy it turned out the way I wanted it to...

I used Aurifil invisible thread to stitch it down onto interfacing at the moment. I have ordered a couple of Aurifil threads for this one and am expecting them to arrive any day...

Currently I'm working on the back of quilt, which will be equally, if not more, stunning!!!

I'm so excited to do this one!!!

Do you like it???


8 comments :

  1. This is wonderful, Shruti! I can see that the bundle on her head is 3 dimensional. Is her saree also three-dimensional? Did you use the actual folds of a saree or are they an illusion? Whichever way you did it, it's spectacular! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Lovely that you could make it just as you envisioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't have any words for how amazing this is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your quilt is fantastic! I love how you created the bundle an skirt. Can't wait to see the back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...