SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, July 9, 2010

The Saree Quilt

A few days back I told you I'd do a separate post about the Saree Floor Quilt in my living room, here it is...

This is a huge quilt. About 7' x 7'. Its made from a vintage silk saree. The pallu or the end of the saree with its ornate design is used in the center as a focus.

The backing is a plain purple sheet in cotton. And the batting is a thin sheet of foam. That helps it dry super fast and sit flat too.





The quilting has been done in rows with a different pattern for every row. Here's a detailed snap of it.


The end is scalloped and serged closed. There's no binding on it.

It is one beautiful quilt that looks great in my living room, which in itself has an ethnic look to it.

This quilt was given to me by my mother on my wedding day. It was made by someone in Banaras. This was the first object that introduced me to quilting. At that time I was too occupied to think about it. I was an architect, and a pretty successful one with 16 projects running in 3 cities! Sewing was something I thought I'd never do. Fast forward 5 years! I'm a SAHM with my lovely little 3 yr old. I can barely get 2 hrs a day to sew. But I'm really very happy! I have enjoyed quilting like nothing else. And I'm glad I tried my hand at it.     

3 comments :

  1. it's beautiful! I knew you had made a quilt from a saree - I have two that my neighbour gave me - I thought one day they'd make lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the saree quilt came out, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for an idea, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...