SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Guest Post by Kelly

This is a guest post by Kelly from Vintage Mum & Modern Child... She mailed it to my regular email address rather than the direct publishing address... I read it yestreday and so here it is...

I was so flattered when Shruti asked if I could write up a guest post for her while she was away sunning it up in Goa and having fun with family. My reply of course was yes and her I am. At first I hadn’t a clue what to write about but since it’s Kids Clothes Week over at elsie marley I thought I would share a little about that.



I signed up last week and today I’ve been sorting through some old clothes I’ve had packed away with the intention of repurposing. I know Shruti is quite good at repurposing – like turning a sari into a quilted rug for her lounge.



Kids Clothes Week is essentially a challenge to set aside an hour each day for the week 20-26 September 2010 – this week! While it’s not limited to sewing, I will be concentrating solely on that because I can’t knit or crochet and Elijah refuses to wear knitwear anyway. We’re heading into Summer so I’ll be whipping up some shorts and tees along with a few Winter items in a size 4. Gosh, I can’t believe how quickly these boys grow! My sister gave me metres and metres of creamy white ribbing fabric so I might attempt a few singlets also.



So here is the pile of old clothes and new fabric that I’m going to try and create a new wardrobe for my almost 4 year old.









And these are the patterns I’ve dug out. Never underestimate a 40 year old pattern, in my opinion most never actually go out of date. It’s the illustrations on the packet that date them.









I’ll also be making some of my own patterns and going over elsie marley’s posts that provide inspiration.



I also started a day early (cheat! I hear you say) and managed to get this pair of pants finished. They’re a little big still which is good because they won’t be used for at least six months.














Think you’re too late to take up the challenge? Never! You can always set yourself a challenge or get a few of your friends together and have a kids clothes day (of course it will be kid-free)



Thanks Shruti for allowing me to share this post. I hope you have a great week away.





2 comments :

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun and very rewarding! I hope Shruti will post some pics of your repurposed materials and clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks Shruti - that'll be me not reading instructions properly :O

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...