SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Happy Teachers' Day!!!

The world celebrates Teacher's Day on October 5th, but here in India we celebrate it on September 5th. There's a reason behind it.
It is the birthday [5 September 1888 ],of the second President of India, academic philosopher Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. It is considered a "celebration" day, where teachers and students report to school as usual but the usual activities and classes are replaced by activities of celebration, thanks and remembrance. At some schools on this day, the responsibility of teaching is taken up by the senior students to show appreciation for their teachers. I remember we used to have school for half day when 10th grade students taught us all... And the variety entertainment program went on late into the evening...

So here's to all my teachers...

The first one that I remember taught me in PreSchool... I dont remember her name, but we called her Doshi Miss... (In our school we called all the teachers Miss, even if she was married... Dont ask why, I dont know!) She was smart and I used to love her...

Next came Shah Miss. She was middle aged, plump and loving... She was especially there for me when my parents met with an accident when I was in 6th grade and they stayed in another town for almost an year and a half... ( was staying with my little brother, and my uncle and aunt and cousins... That partly explains why we are a closely knit family...)

Next I remember Kshirsagar Miss... I was her favorite student and she was openly partial about me... I used to love it... She was our Art teacher and 'coz I was good at it, i was her favorite!

Next, was my Mathematics teacher, Meena Miss... She is no more, but I do remember her very fondly... She was one strong lady... I owe my 149/150 in my board exams in mathetmatics in grade 10th to her!

After her, is my beloved teacher of all times, Kalpana Miss... She was Meena Miss's sister. They both were daughters of the founder Principal of my school - Dr. J W Airan... Both of them did not marry and spent their life for the school... They were devoted to the school... Kalpana Miss recently retired and is currently recovering from Breast Cancer... I'm glad that she is healthy and safe...

After her, I remember a few of my college teachers - Ar. Sudhir Ukidwe, Ar. Narendra Dengle, Ar. Bannerjii (I forgot her first name), Ar. Ritu Kute, Ar. Kalpana Hadap, Ar. Avinash Gadre, Ar. Salil Phanse, Ar. Rahul Vedpathak, Ar. Sachin Sutar, Ar. Abhijeet De... Thank you all and others whom I might have forgotten to mention... I owe my designing abilities to you all...

Next, come the two architects that I worked with before I started my practice : Ar. Mahendra Chavan and Ar. Vivek Gupte... They taught me the practical aspects of the profession... Also, thanks to Abhay Gujar for introducing me to the world of Structures...

And next is Ar. Pramod Chaugule, the person who taught me that sometimes letting go is as important as seizing an opportunity... He taught me that home is equally important and should not be ignored in pursuit of profession... He was the one who had to bear with me through my toughest times... But who supports me even now...

And now the person whom I consider to be the teacher of my favorite craft... Quilting...
Elizabeth (Oh Fransson)... She is the reason I took up quilting... So here's wishing you a very Hppy Tachers' Day Elizabeth... I learnt a lot from you... Thank you for your website... Thank you for answering my numerous queries and thank you so much for encouraging me...

I wish you all the very best with your new book...


You can get  sneek peek of it here... Its simply a must have for the new modern quilter... Go have a look...






Sunday Strolling Blog Hop




12 comments :

  1. Hello! I'm your newest follower from The Joy of Giving Birth. You can find me at www.my2centsfl.com

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower from the Relax Surf Sunday blog hop. I hope you can follow back at http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about this wonderful custom! I think it is a great idea. :) Teachers do not get the respect they deserve very often here in America.

    ;) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blog!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com Relax and Surf Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fascinating stuff you have here! Thanks for stopping by. I'm now following.

    livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog via Relax and Surf Sunday. Love it. Will definitely be coming back and checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest follower from Sensational Saturday Social!
    Have a great day!

    Tanja
    http://tanjascupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I'm coming from Shibley Smiles Relax and Surf Sunday HOP and just wanted to say HI I'm following you on GFC now.. Would like if you can visit me over at www.twoboysonegirlandacrazymom.com

    Have a great weekend
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now following you! Please follow me back!
    http://christlikemommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im amazed at all the great blogs I'm stumbling on with these fabulous hops!

    Nana Poppins (Patty)
    http://www.nanapoppins.com
    http://www.twitter.com/thenanapoppins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so jealous! Thanks for taking part in Admirer Monday. I am looking forward to seeing more on your blog.

    I am now following your blog!

    Giveaway Blogdom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic post! Love all the pix! Following from moms blogger club- love to have you follow back!
    www.survivingateacherssalary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...