SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival Entry

Okay guys, I know you are so bored of watching this quilt again and again, but I just have to show it off in the Bloggers Quilt Festival so generously organized by Amy... Haven't heard about it? Go on over to her place and check out all the wonderful quilts there are to see...


Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

So here's my entry...

The Zanzibar Quilt!

The quilt was designed considering the approx 44" of fabric that I had received from Elizabeth of Oh Fransson as a donation for my Spread the Cheer project... This quilt is made as one of the 42 that I will be donating to an orphanage in my town...

So to begin with, I only had a 44" piece of the fabric... I was going to use it as a backing... But to what??? My quilts are all 36" x 36"... So I had some fabric left over... But I wanted a simple top for this busy fabric backing...

Inspiration struck at about 3 am! It was a sunday morning and hubby and me were visited in bed by a swarm of mosquitos through a hole that hubby had so obligingly left in the net that we HAVE TO use... While we were getting rid of them (I do not want to offend anyone by saying killing here) the idea struck... I could just not go back to sleep after that... Well, would you? After a lot of tossing and turning in bed and 'uumh' and 'tsk' from hubby, I got out of the bed at 5 am! And by 4 pm the quilt was ready!

I used just 2 small pieces that I fussy cut around the animals for the top... And surrounded them by a dark blue solid...





Here's a detail of a fussy cut block...


I quilted it with the wrong side up! I used the print on the backing as a guide and outlined the animals in free motion... I used a shade of red darker than the binding that I had chosen so that the quilting wont pop out but yet be visible...



It turned out to look great on the front... Can you see an elephant here?


The quilt turned out much better than I had expected... I bound it in red with just one small piece of a dark blue + white stripes fabric on one side... I got that idea from Elizabeth (she does that to almost all of her quilts)


Kiddo loved it so much, he wanted it for himself... Guess I'll have to order some more of the fabric and make him one... (all of those who are thinking of gifting me something, you know whats on my wish list now... LOL)

I enjoyed the process of making this quilt, the designing, the piecing and most of all the free motion quilting... It was as if I was listening to music!

This is my own favorite quilt so far... I soooo love it!!!

Want to read more stories about quilts like mine??? Head over to Amy's Creative Side and spend hours relishing your eyes on creations that will take your breath away...

Have fun!!


Cheers!!!



6 comments :

  1. It is always interesting to read about others who have no quilting supplies near them. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did! It is beautiful...and a going to a beautiful child who really needs the hug of a quilt. (PS Your own kiddo is darling!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful when inspiration hits? What a wonderful quilt. Some child will love it. (Your cutie has already tested it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely even after multiple viewings Shruti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt -- so clever from start to finish. Every detail is amazingly well thought out!

    Thanks for sharing!

    xo -El

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool donation quilt-I'm sure it will be loved. Great quilting. Thanks for sharing.
    Please come see my 1890 antique schoolhouse quilt and
    black/white/pink scrappy miniature entries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...