SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Zanzibar Quilt

Zanzibar was sent to me by the generous Elizabeth of Oh Fransson! for the Spread the Cheer project... I was thinking about what to do with it... I knew the piece was good enough to use as a backing, but I was looking for a better use for it...

On Sunday morning inspiration struck at about 3 am!!! Why was I awake then? Well, my dear hubby left a little gap in the mosquito net which sent about 25 of them inside and they buzzed in my ear till I woke up... Then while me and hubby were killing them (clapping our hands to kill them) the idea struck... Once we had got rid of the irritating mosquitoes, hubby dozed off immediately while I squirmed in the bed... At 5 I could resist it no longer and crept out of bed and rushed to my sewing machine...

The quilt was done by 4 pm and I was happy with it...

Here's the quilt :


I quilted it with the wrong side up! I traced the outline of all the animals with free motion to quilt it...


I used a contrasting yet subtle thread so that the outlines will be seen, but wont pop out...


It did involve a few small 'accidents' and the quilt eventually became 34" x 34" instead of the regular 36" x 36"...


But I dont think the child is going to notice the size when he sees the quilt!!!




In all I'm very happy about the way it turned out... Its my favorite one, so far!!!



1 comment :

  1. What a clever thing to do! I love how you quilted that wrong-side up with contrasting thread so the animals could be seen. I really love that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...