SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SSF Post # 12 : I am a Lisa Work!

Today's guest, once again is from my numerous flickr friends... Lisa's work is so crisp (thats the first word that came to my mind when I saw it) and fresh! I love it... And now, I love her studio too!


Go have a look...


Cheers!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hi everyone. I'm Lisa, known to the
flickr/blog world as  imalisawork. Shruti invited me over
to share my sewing room and fabric storage with you.I have been sewing for a couple of years but have only been serious and completely fabric obsessed for about 10 months. I've acquired a lot in that short time. My fabric storage 'system' is unique to me because I have such a great apartment. I live in Chicago
and picked my current place solely for the space I wished to be a
craft room. It is a 1920s building complete with a formal dining room and a fantastic built-in. The formal dining room has become my craft room.

This first picture is just a quick view of my sewing table
to give you an idea of the size of the room (it's huge!!!)



This is my built-in that holds
all of my fabric:



I use the cabinets on either end to store fabric. There were several shelves that were adjustable but I have removed them. I prefer to store my fabric in plastic bins (the cabinet smells a little musty) and stack them. My bins are from the Container
Store and meant for sweaters. I picked them because they
are clear, I like their size and that they are
stackable.




I try to sort out my prints by color. Most of my fabric falls into two bins: "red, yellow, orange & pink" and "blue & green". There are a few small bins for purple, grey, brown, and black. My favorite bin is filled with all the multicolored fabric that I am not sure how to designate. If there was a fire and I only had time to grab one thing it would probably be this bin. I also have a bin that is just for solids. Most of the bins are storage for any cut of fabric over a full fat quarter. I have a separate bin where I keep fat quarters that have been cut into and consider these large scraps. I also have a bin
that is just small scraps. And of course a small bin for my selvedge collection. 


That is how I
like to store my fabric. Thanks for checking out my space!





4 comments :

  1. Love those clear containers :)
    Thanks for sharing your lovely sewing space with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your house. Love your storage solutions!

    I must be the only sewing type person who doesnt store by colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great room! Great Storage piece. It looks like you have amazing light in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic sewing room... I love that built-in cabinet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...