SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, February 10, 2011

SSF Post # 16 : Kati's Scrap System


Todays guest is Kati from the blue chair... Do you remember coming across that name any time on my blog??? Maybe you read it here... She was the one who thought I was a stylish blogger!!!
Her scrap system is very much similar to what mine used to be... Before I got all those boxes... :)
Go have a look...


And of course dont forget to leave a comment to win $30 worth of charm packs from our very own Fat Quarter Shop!!!
Cheers!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, I’m Kati from the blue chair.  Shruti asked me to write a guest post on scrap storage.  I've been quilting for just over a year, but have accumulated a lot of scraps in that time.  Previously, I threw all my scraps into a big storage box, and there they lived.  I never touched them once they went in the box.  After staring at a huge messy box of scraps for months, I finally decided it was time to organize it about six months ago. 

I still have a scrap bucket, but it’s much smaller.  When my fabric is smaller than a fat 1/8, it is ready for the scrap bucket.  I throw pieces in here until I have a chance to go through them and cut them up into useable pieces that are easy to store. 

How I cut them depends on the size and shape of the scrap.  I cut most scraps into squares.  I have stacks of 5", 4", 3" and 2” squares.  I also cut coins that are 2.5" x 5".  I leave long strips intact.  If they are at least 2.5" wide, I save them for scrappy bindings.  Anything thinner than that heads to color-sorted Ziplocs. 

I am saving those strips for another strings quilt or some spiderweb blocks someday. 

Occasionally, after finishing a project, I'll have quite a bit of leftover fabric that I want to keep together.  I cut it up into squares or coins and keep it together in bags.   


I also save binding scraps in a bag for future projects.

It took quite a while to get my scraps organized, but it was completely worth it.  It's nice to keep the mess under control.  Now I actually use my scraps.  When starting a new project, I always try to sort through my trimmed scraps first before looking through the rest of my fabric.  

 

20 comments :

  1. I love Kati's blog. What a great way to sort your scraps - I wish I was motivated to be that organised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've got to do that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, so organized. Hopefully I can feed off your clean vibes and do my own scraps. they are a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kati's a great gal! Ya'll should be jealous, I live near her and can stalk her anytime! J/K! Love the organization tips - I should do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, Kati! I sort scraps by colour but I don't trim first. They're messy as a result. Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shruti, Thanks for letting me post on your blog today. I have loved this series. So many great ideas from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to take the time to cut some of my scraps into usable squares. Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should be doing that very soon - Thank you Kati & thank you Shruti for organizing this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great method of storing scraps. I like the separate colors in the ziploc bags.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great method for storing scraps. I've just started quilting so I should start organizing now before it gets out of hand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol I love the bucket full of scraps! That is such a real picture of life in a sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Great way to keep on top of things, strangely enough I found myself doing this the other night - I have a lovely box full of strips and squares - but I still have an overflowing scrap bin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas for scrap storage. I really need to get mine under control. Definitely won't happen this year, maybe a new year's resolution for 2012. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh, I've been looking for a good solution to my scraps! Thank you for some great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I'm new to quilting so right now my scrap box is fine but I can see it being a problem in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I thought I was organized...apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips! This makes me embarrassed about my scrap bin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good advice. It's so hard to know what to do with all the fabric. It's just everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I wish I was that organised. Mine are all in a big box!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...