SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, February 17, 2011

SSF Post # 19 : Amy's Cutting Table

Today's guest is Amy who is also one of my Flickr friends! She has a wonderful blog too... Have a peep at her cutting table...


Dont forget to leave comments to win 





or



Mr Random Org will be drawing the winners on Sunday!


Cheers!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hello! I am Amy from http://alliekatmom.blogspot.com/ and today I am sharing with you my cutting table. 


Since I like spending so much money on fabric and other quilting supplies, I needed a cheap and efficient cutting table. If anyone is in the same boat as I was, this is a great way to make a cheap cutting area that works just as nice as the ones you spend hundreds of dollars on. 


This is how my cutting table is set up. 

I first started with a table. You can use any table you have, I happened to have an old folding card table that I previously used for my sewing machine. I found some risers for my table at a local craft store (I bought mine at Jo Anns). These were around $10 and lifts the table a good 4 inches. Now my table is at a good level when cutting, which causes less strain on my back and shoulders when cutting for long periods. 



I then decided I wanted a more finished look so I covered the table with a skirt. I just sewed different pieces of fabric together and attached it to the side of the table, also leaving extra storage underneath. I use the area under my table to store some items that I don't use on a regular basis. Its nice and out of the way, but still easy to get to. Another option would be to use some kind of drawer unit under the table for more storage.

Finally, I decided that I wanted to get most of the items off the top of my cutting table so I have more room to cut large pieces of fabric without having to move things out of the way each time I cut something. So the wall over my cutting table are my three must haves:

1. A dry erase board. I can take notes while working on a project, shopping lists, or reminders to myself. I also like the fact that it is magnetic and I can have a place for coupons, or even hang my cutting instructions up. I love how when cutting all you have to do is look up and the next step is right in front of you, no more shifting patterns or fabric to find out where you last put your instructions. 



2. Rulers. Every quilter has rulers, and I have many. I wanted them off the top of my table, but still easy to get to. So I bought hooks (bought mine at Walmart) that I can screw into the wall and hang my rulers on. This is so convenient as you don't have to search through your rulers to find which one you want next, or again move the fabric all around because you misplaced it under one of the many yards you are trying to cut. 



3. "Catch-Alls" (sold at Ikea). I hold my pens and markers in one, small rulers scissors and rotary cutter in the second, selvages and scraps that are big enough to keep but not big enough to go back in the stash in another,  and fabric or small throw away items in the last.  This system works very nice for me and keeps me organized.




Hope this helped anyone who is just getting into quilting and needs some affordable ways to get organized. The fancy furniture can get expensive. Feel free to stop by and leave me some feedback on my blog. 

Amy aka Alliekatmom


36 comments :

  1. Great organization. As I was looking at the 'catch alls' from Ikea, it got me to thinking about a way I could do something like that. I don't live near an Ikea! So, I think I could take a curtain rod and mount it above my sewing table. Then I could make bags that have plastic tubing or even boning around the top, put a wide loop on the bag Or rod pocket, and hang off the curtain rod. I think I have a project spurred from your organizational idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great information and ideas. I only wish I had a whole room that I could organize like that, but as it is for now, I have a closet and a sewing machine cabinet and fabric scattered throughout the house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much Shruti, i've been really enjoying these peeks into other peoples sewing spaces! lovely.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s i have a newly renovated sewing studio that you can check out over on my blog, might be of interest to you.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Great organization! Some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have the organized board behind your cutting table. I raised my table also, it really helps not having to bend over to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous of your cutting space, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I lived loser to an Ikea... it seems whenever I see a cool object, it came from there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ideas!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your space looks great. Love how things are organized.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your room, and the way you have organized it. If only I had a room all my own to organize :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the skirt idea, it's a good way to keep things tidy and keep the clutter hidden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little containers that hold your pens and scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Ikea! I went on Friday and picked up some of those catch all things. Now I have to figure out where to get them hung up.
    thank you for the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a large dining table that was too big for my small dining area, so it is now my cutting table. I also hang my rulers on my wall, next to the table, makes it easy to grab them when I need them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait until IKEA opens near us in about 2 years - a long time to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh I love all these ideas! the risers under the table are brilliant. I've been using a card table too and wondering why my back hurts. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely, organised space. I currently cut on the floor, or the desk if I can be bothered to move the sewing machine, and leave things scattered all over the place! My sewing room is also a dumping ground until we've finished decorating downstairs, so hopefully soon I too can have a lovely cutting table, though I have no idea where I can get the risers over here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all of the wonderful information!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are GREAT organizational tips. I hope to employ some once I get a sewing room set up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are some great ideas! I've recently decided that I need a designated cutting table--sharing my little sewing table with my cutting mat just isn't working for me anymore. Love the idea of the skirt to hide the extra storage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I use an old dresser for a cutting table. It is a little high, but it gets the job done. I just love Ikea and think I need a trip to get some of those "catch alls". Thanks for the ideas!=)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Amy, I loved all your helpful suggestions, especially the wall behind your cutting table with rulers and IKEA containers. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the way you have everything organized and right at your finger tips! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like how you adjusted the height of your table. I had my dad make risers for an old 8 ft church table which makes a great cutting table.etizesse

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for all the info. I get to travel to Ikea next week... guess what's on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All that space, your daily blog is interesting and full of ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this whole series!! I like to hang my rulers on hooks on the wall, too. I think IKEA gets a lot of business from us quilters!! Thanks for sharing your tips and ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how everything is perfect!
    Great job!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the way everything is organized - Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips! I too have raised my cutting table but want it higher, have the risers but haven't gottent hem under there yet. I don't have wall space, double windows instead but...surely that small wall at the end of the table.......Oh you have gotten me thinking. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those 'catch-alls' look great. It's a good idea keeping the pens and things off the table.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i have been thinking about doing something similar for the tables I use for basting my quilt on. I am glad to see it works with cutting fabric, I was afraid it would be too shakey.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is always great to learn more tips on organizing our creative space! I like the ruler storage! I also have bed risers for my cutting table and they work great!


    Angie - http://craftedAngles.com
    angie@craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great ideas! I wish I could find all of it as easy in Bangalore! But I will keep looking. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...