SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

SSF Post # 18 : Shay's Cutting Table

Today's guest once gain is Shay from Quilting in my Pyjamas! She is one of my favorite bloggers... And the one who puts a smile on my face every morning that she writes... I have been reading her for the past one year, and if you haven't, well, you're surely missing something in life... Head over to Quilting in my Pyajamas and follow her... Dont miss a post... And I know you'll thank me for introducing you to a wonderful lady...


I’m Shay from Quilting in My Pyjamas and today I get to share my cutting table with you, as part of Shruti’s Sewing Spaces feature.  I have to say this is one of my favourite things about my sewing room.  And because I’m a wild and crazy girl and have no shame and like to keep it real I’m going to show you some pictures of the table pre-tidying...


This morning when I walked into my sewing room this is what it looked like. Multiple projects and junk all over it. I never work on one project at a time. I have quilting/sewing ADD. And to be perfectly frank, at least 50 % of the time this is exactly what it looks like. So not only is this a cutting table- it doubles as dumping/storage space.

I used to think cutting tables were a great sewing gimmick. Another way to get us crafty gals to part with our hard earned dosh.  When Mr. P bought me one for my birthday 18 months ago I thought “Cute but what a waste of money – the kitchen benches are good enough for me” Apparently they weren’t as much fun for the rest of the family who were fed up with trying to butter toast amongst selvages , rotary cutters and cutting mats . Who knew?

Having a dedicated cutting table has changed my sewing life. 

This is what a cutting table would look like if I wasn’t one of the most disorganised people on the planet.  Ta! Da!



Ahhhhh much better.  I really must try to keep it clear more often.
Because it folds out – it saves me space when I don’t need a 6 foot by 3and a half foot table. But when I need to lay out a quilt, or I have a million bits to cut it just rocks.


And the drawers come in handy for storing all the stuff I need to have close by when I’m being creative.





And so would the cupboards if I could keep them tidy...



Time for some cutting!



Now that I have this little baby I’m not sure how I managed without it! It’s an indispensable part of my creative space.
Pop on over and visit me at 


 

9 comments :

  1. Do you know where she purchased that cutting table. That would be perfect for me.... Please advise.... :)

    Shannon Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Something more for me dream about ... and so very efficient. Your husband rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon Margaret,

    Im in Australia so I dont know how helpful this info will be , but my husband ordered it in through large quilting/sewing supply store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shay, I really enjoyed your post. I'd say you're pretty brave, I don't think I'd want anyone to see what my table looks like right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful & useful gift!
    Thanks for sharing Shay :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful room!! I love your cutting table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea, I love the way it folds away when you don't need it, much better than using the dining table.
    Thanks Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the little sister to that table and it is currently piled high with bits of projects and fabric.
    Just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cutting table - congrats!

    Angie - craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...