SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, October 5, 2012

The one in which I un-quilt myself! TUTORIAL

Okay, well not my - self! But my name!

Didn't I show you all the yumminess Aurifil sent me last week???

Let me just quickly refresh your memory!


So what did I do with it?

I turned it into an equally yummy Pillow! Not all of it, just that beautiful blue-yellow spool!

With my name on it - Un-quilted!


And guess what?

I have managed to write a tutorial for you guys!

Scroll down for instructions and make your own Unquilt-Me Pillow!




Supplies :

A square piece of neutral fabric the size of your pillow... I used a 16" x 16" piece of Solid White
 Depending on the kind of closure you want to make, fabric for the backing. I used Masai Mara Blue Masai for the back. 2 pieces 10" x 16" since I was making an envelope back.
I suggest you use a contrast colored fabric for the binding. I used Masai Mara Blue Diamond Ikat and I needed 3 strips of 2 1/4" x 21"



Some co-ordinating Aurifil Goodness! I used the Aurifil Mako 12 wt variegated thread...

You'll also need the general paraphernalia of Rotary cutter, safety pins, etc.

First, write the name you wish to un-quilt in any Computer program you're comfortable with. I used MS Word. Print it to a decent size and using a carbon paper or any other tracing technique, copy it onto the white fabric.

I am really hoping you can see the name there...

If not let me just help you...


Now sandwich the fabric with a backing of your choice - It really doesn't matter what you use...

And get ready to do some super un-quilting! Here's mine ready to go on my Bernina 330. Bring the bobbin thread up and set your machine for FMQ. I'm using the Free Motion Quilting foot 29C on my machine.



Here's a quick check list
  • Bobbin thread up - done
  • Feed dogs down - done
  • Stitch length zero - done
  • Stitch width zero - done
  • Needle down position marked - done

 Now you're ready to go...

Start Free Motion Quilting like you usually do... Use a super dense design... and take care NOT to quilt INSIDE the letters... I first quilted the outline of the letter and then quilted around it densely...


After you're done with the entire name, add some more quilting just to stabilize the top...


This is optional... I opted to quilt two un-concentric circles... I'd have done concentric if i was quilting - right? So un-quilting calls for un-concentric!


Here's a closer view at the quilting...


Now let me tell you a secret... When you have to move your quilt top about as much as you need to do to make this, I suggest you use these - Fans and Porter quilting gloves! I assure you they are my best piece of investment in a quilting gadget so far!

 Now turn this little piece of quilt into a pillow like you normally do...

Here's how I did mine... Do this ONLY if you are adding a binding!

First I did the edges of the 2 back pieces, by folding the 16" egde over twice 1/4" and top stitching. Then I layerd and pinned all my pieces in the following sequence.

Finished quilting piece trimmed to 16" x 16" - RIGHT SIDE DOWN
Back piece # 1 - raw edge aligned with top edge of quilting piece - RIGHT SIDE UP
Back piece # 2 - raw edge aligned with bottom edge of quilting piece - RIGHT SIDE UP

Pin all four sides and sew with a 1/8" seam allowance.

Now sew together the three 2 1/4" strips to make a double fold binding and attach it to the front. Here's a great Tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman thats easy to understand!

Hand sew it onto the back... And your pillow is ready!

Here's the completed pillow!

The front


And the back



I'm so loving it!!!

Guess there will be many more...

If you make one, please email me a picture so that I can show it off to the other readers...

Cheers!!!

10 comments :

  1. Nice work Shruti! :) This is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tutorial is awesome. Got to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I can imagine a whole family of pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's great! Love the idea, and thanks for tute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic tutorial! Its a great idea for a personalised gift. Love the backing you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pillow and I think I'll definitely try making one of these! Of course, I also wish that Aurifil would send me one of these sampler bundles.... I've tried the 50 weight thread, but I'm dying to try some of the heavier weights of thread and none of my local shops carry any of the heavier weights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative idea. I can see so many uses for this tutorial. Thanks so much, I really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting is wonderful, I will definitely have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea - and I love the name "unquilting" - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Thanks for the tutorial. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...