SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

52 prompts to blog every week : Week 11


I'm back with the 52 prompts series and today we are going to talk about a Quilt Guild or a Group



You can download the full list here and start writing your own blog posts too!!!

I would like to talk about two groups that I am a part of.

The first is The Modern Quilt Guild


"The MQG developed out of the thriving online community of modern quilters and their desire to start meeting in person. The founding guild was formed in Los Angeles in October of 2009. Through blogs and the Internet, word spread quickly of the fun they were having and soon guilds started popping up everywhere. "

I have been a member of the MQG right since when I started quilting. It was initially a free guild. And the members were spread all over the world.

We started a local chapter here The India Modern Quilt Guild.

After the MQG was regularized in 2012, we closed the IMQG. I continued to be an Individual member of the MQG.

I love the fact that I can be a member of a vast community, in spite of living on the other side of the world from all the Quilty things! The community is filled with forums that we can participate in. There are wonderful webinars not just to improve your quilting skills, but to give your business a little nudge too.

I also love the fact that all the leaders of the guild - the Directors, are easily approachable. There has not been a single email of mine that has been left unanswered by Jacquie Gering or Alissa Haight Carlton or Heather Grant! These are all people who have poured their hearts into the organization and strive all the time to make it a better experience for everyone!

I so enjoy being a member of the MQG!!!



The other group that I want to talk about is the Studio Art Quilts Associates


"Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. (SAQA) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the art quilt through education, exhibitions, professional development, documentation, and publications. SAQA defines an art quilt as "a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure."
Founded in 1989 by an initial group of 50 artists, SAQA now has over 3,000 members: artists, teachers, collectors, gallery owners, museum curators and corporate sponsors. A dedicated core of volunteers and staff keep the organization vibrant, dynamic, and progressive."

I recently joined SAQA and being the ONLY member in my region, I was invited to be a Regional Representative for India. Soon the region was expanded to include India & SouthEast Asia.

The most important thing about SAQA that I have observed that the members are ready to help each other all the time. I signed up for the Mentorship Program they offered and it has been a blessing. I realized that my quilts are much more meaningful since the amazing Barbara Lange has started guiding me! I think about every stitch that I make, everything is much more intentional than it used to be and that makes me very happy!

I also love the inspiration that the SAQA portfolio offers! They also have educational webinars that you can watch. The resources section is filled with so much information that your brain is kept buzzing for days after you see it!

Being a part of both these organizations has helped me find my way in the quilt world. I'm happy about my decision to sign up for both of them. And I'm looking forward to a long quilty association!!!
www.fatquartershop.com





Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...