SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

52 prompts to blog every week : Week 12


Its the 52 prompts series again, and today I'm going to tell you about the first quilt i made!





You can download the full list here and start writing your own blog posts too!!!

I was actually working on 4 at the same time and do not know which one I finished first.

I know I started this one first. Because half of the blocks were hand pieced!!!

Sorry for the blurry photo, but I had a very poor phone at the time. It was made from Elizabeth Hartman's pattern. (I do nopt remember the name, but it was a sampler). I also inserted white squares in it on which I heat-transfered photos of Rohit, Aadi & me!


I still have this one, and I cherish it though its all old and the photos have faded!

The next was also based on Elizabeth's pattern - the Paint Box. Mine is an 'oops' paintbox quilt!


 I did not have a rotary cutter then, and marked and cut each of the 80 fabrics individually! I knew absolutely nothing about fabric and the way it behaves when stitching. So none of the seams match! But I love the quilt for reasons beyond aesthetics! 


The fabric was cut when my mother was undergoing surgery and we spent a lot of time talking - heart to heart! We were afraid we were going to loose her, fortunately we were wrong. But those moments are precious! 
This quilt is now owned by my little brother! And me and Aadi recently got to snuggle under it!


 The next one was the simplest quilt I have ever made! It is made from a cotton suit set. It consists of 2 coordinating 2.5 m fabrics, plus a dupatta. This came along fast. And I loved the Yin-yang design. 


This was the first time I designed a quilt myself!


The next one is a Lemon Quilt. I think the patter was from Fresh Lemon Quilts. I used fabric from my mother's dresses to make the pieced 9 patch blocks.


This quilt was my first attempt at FMQ. I had used an old curtain (a heavy one) as batting. It took me about 3-4 days to finish the FMQ on my Bernette e56. But afterwards my fingers were numb for about two weeks! I was so scared, but did not say a word. The day I decided I would go to the doctor and see him about any permanent damage caused, the sensation was back! I was so relieved!!!


My mom still has this in her house!!! 



www.fatquartershop.com


Which was your first quilt? Do share your memories! I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers!!!


3 comments :

  1. I love all of these, the colours are perfect, my first quilt was not good, I joined a sewing class, and ended up having the instructor suggest I find another hobby, needless to say my machine was packed away for many years. but Im glad I took it out eventually and rediscovered my love of fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you started three quilts at the same time! That quilting bug bit you hard! All of them are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first quilt was in 2011 and I made a jelly roll race quilt. I wasn't sure if I would want to make more than one quilt and this was the best way to make a quilt without investing in a lot of expensive equipment.

    I now have a lot of expensive equipment. hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...