SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, August 18, 2014

Getting to know me!!!

I have been tagged in a blog hop by Sharada. She is someone whom I have seen evolving as a crafter over the past few years. We have been following each others' blogs snce what seems like eternity. She is a pro at making anything with paper! She made Aadi's birthday caps and banner for me!!!

I am supposed to tell a few things about myself!

So sit back, take a cup of coffee and hear me talk!!!



Why do I quilt and blog???



Ever since, I discovered quilting, I have been consumed by it. I love the fact that I can do that as a Full Time Job rather than just a hobby.
I started blogging, honestly, because my little brother told me to. And also because I wanted a place where I could share my work with my family and friends. I could put up photos on facebook, but it did not give me the platform to say what went behind making that quilt!

My blog grew along with me. Gradually providing snippets of my life as well. But recently I have once again started focusing on my work here. somehow, talking about myself has taken a back seat!
 but I have always loved this platform where I could talk to my readers and provide them glimpses of whats going on in my life and my studio!

How does my quilting process work?

I have been asked this question so many times that I loose track!
My quilts usually start as one of the 100 sketches I draw - wither in my sketch book or anywhere else. 


 Once I have rummaged through all my stuff and found THE sketch, the process begins. I then raid my stash to find the perfect fabric. This is the part where my sewing room looks like its been hit by a tornado! A lot of fabric is on my table, a lot more is on the floor and very little is left on the shelves!



Then I start cutting! I have always loved my cutting mat by Cutting Edge and my Rotary cutter by Olfa. I use the ergonomic cutter and its better on my wrist than the normal cutter. It is $$ well spent.


After that I get to my sewing machine! Believe me, even though my work is called "Sewing" on a larger scale - I spend the minimum time of a project actually sewing it!



Putting the quilt top together is again, only a small part of the entire process. This is where the basic design of the quilt starts being visible.

Then comes the main part. The actual quilting! This is my favorite part!!! I love how quilting adds character to the quilt.  Quilting is what takes a quilt from here :


to here :

On an average, a baby quilt takes about 20 hours to complete and an art quilt like this one could take months!

My Style

I dont think I have a specific style! I have done work that is varying so much that I cannot pin my style!

I have done traditional quilts like the lone star quilt, but I'm sure you can see 'my' touch on it!


I have made some radically out of the box quilts too!


I have made portraits


And then some more


I have made some fiercely modern quilts


and some sensitive ones too...


If I had to sum up my style, I'd say rule breaking! I am a self taught quilter and I just cannot follow instructions! So I have broken many a rules when I made these quilts! And I'm so proud of them!!!

What am I working on?

Right now I have this riot of color that I'm calling Flamboyance on my machine!!!


I am loving it so much!!!


I have tagged Vibhuti Bhandarkar - a super-cool Mompreneur from Pune. I met Vibhitu recently through our awesome networking group Mompreneurs India. She is a multi-talented lady!!!

and Sonalee Suchismita a fellow quilter from India whom I've known since quite a long time! 

their blog posts will be up on 25th Aug!!! Be sure to check them out too!!!

Cheers!!!






4 comments :

  1. Hi Shruti, nice to know about you and your passion for quilting. You have done an amazing job with your creative designs:) Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shruti, Hello from Gresham, Oregon, USA! I happened on your blog this morning when i was searching for alternative quilt batting techniques. I made a queen size quilt for my sister who wants a lightweight summer time quilt. I was leaning towards using wool batting since it was breathable but I think I'll use either cotton or maybe just back it with flannel. I love your quilts! They are both beautiful and inspiring. Take care, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really fabulous quilts! I really admire your talent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...