SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

52 prompts to blog every week: Week 17



I am a self taught quilter. There are techniques that I have learnt myself, ones I have learnt from the net, ones learnt from others at quilt meets and Quiltcon, some I have dreamt about and then a few more...

Of all of them, I love the technique I use in my book,'About face' the most. Its a kind of reverse applique, but then, not quite so!

I used it for the first time in my Harry Potter quilt.



I have made portraits with it and written a book and taught classes, both online and in person.

The first portrait I made using the technique was that of Steve Jobs. I made the iQuilt for my little brother. 



And then I also made this portrait of Alex Veronelli of Aurifil Threads! He was brave enough to be the subject for my eBook. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Quiltcon and handing over the quilt I made for him!



I have been taking classes to teach this technique, both online and in person. My students have come up with brilliant works of art!!!

And I'm really proud of them.

Here are my students at the Bernina Creative Center, Mumbai.





So this is that one technique I love and cherish the most.

Here's a small tutorial.

Supplies : Fabric - minimum 2 of the same size, thread (that matches either of the fabrics), a pair of SHARP scissors (I love my stork scissors for this one), seam ripper, temporary fabric marker.

1. Draw the design onto the topmost fabric. I suggest you take the lightest fabric on the top.


Now using the thread, I use Aurifil monofilament thread, and your FMQ foot, stitch through all the layers of fabric. Use a small stitch length. On my BSR I use a stitch length of 1 - 1.5.


Now use your seam ripper and/or your sharp scissors to cut away the layer(s) according to your design. Take care to cut as close to the stitch line as possible.


I use the seam ripper for tinier areas that I need to cut away.


Here's the result :  On the top is my reverse applique piece and on the bottom is the original print.


If you want to know more about creating portraits using this technique, I would highly recommend my own book (how modest!).

You can buy it here at Fat Quarter Shop

Which is your favorite technique? Do share about it so that we can all get to know it!

Cheers!!!





www.fatquartershop.com





Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...