SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Nemo Adventure...

Thursday was the day my little one turned five...



It struck me as he left for school with my Dad, who along with my Mom, was here specially for his birthday. It was 5 years ago that this lovely little guy came into our lives and brightened them...


He was so small and fragile...


I always was scared that I'd do something wrong and hurt him...


But I guess I have been a good mother and my baby grew up to be a wonderful boy...


He has made me proud...


He has touched my heart like no one has...


He has made my life worthwhile...


Given it meaning... 


So when he wanted a Nemo themed party for his birthday, how could I not do it? Even though it meant trying to attempt baking AND decorating a cake!

So began my adventures with fondant...

I searched everywhere for recipes of fondant, but all needed liquid glucose... 

I could not find it anywhere...

But at last I located it and used a simple recipe to make fondant. It was absolutely easy (except getting that liquid glucose out of the bottle) and  fun to work with.

My Nemo was ready...


So were the other decorations - some sea grass, corals and some shells too!


The return gifts were bars of Pears soap...


molten and recast in molds with shells collected from my recent trip to Tarkarli...


Along with some Nemo coloring pages and soap bubble kits... All packed and tagged...


Cake was ready...


and was delicious too...


I was totally happy with my creation! Do not forget that this was my first attempt at making a cake!


The decorations were all orange and blue...


And some finer touches too...


Including a Nemo character collage on the wall...


The kids had a great time...


Mom and Dad had got kiddo a Shirt with some Led lights in it. He was not ready to wear anything else - not even the Nemo T shirt that I was going to make for him!



all in all, it was a wonderful adventure!!! Worth every effort taken... 


13 comments :

  1. Wow! What a beautiful cake!! It looks so professional it's hard to believe it was your first time working with fondant! What a beautiful boy too! Thank you for sharing him and his special birthday with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shruthi..you can be proud that you are such a lovely mother....beautiful work...and i'm sure your little one surely have enjoyed it....wishing him a happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. First or 100th cake - it's amazing! A birthday to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to know....did he eat Nemo in the end, or declair "Fish are friends, not food."?

    Looks like it was a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the theme you chose--that cake looks good enough to eat!(tho it also looks SO good that I would have a hard time cutting it!!) :)
    Happy birthday to your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any time a mother shows amazing strength/awareness/intelligence in saving her child's life, it makes the news. Such recognition does not follow when she saves/enhances her child's social life. Perhaps it should.
    There is much in the news (at least in my part of the world) about the suicide of young people due to being bullied for some social infraction. Developing and maintaining an ever-enlarging social network will become, I believe, an important element of emotional health. (This may already be the case but I hesitate to acknowledge it as it does not apply to me.)
    I love Love LOVE the idea of the reverse gift. Is this common? I went to many gift-giving events but had very few myself. This means that I provided many gifts but received few.
    Congratulations on your realistic Nemo cake scenario.
    Even though this comment is long already, I want to mention that in my part of the world there are 'Studio Tours' where people can visit artists in their milieu and see their art. I went to a stained glass studio where the father had made a stained glass depiction of Nemo for the child's room.
    Nothing is too good for our offspring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, what a cute boy. Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shruti,

    Have been passing by your blog everyday to check the Birthday update and here you are, every time with a new surprise, every time surpassing yourself. The Pears idea...wow! that rocks.I am going to blatantly copy that :)
    Nemo looks so professional with the corals and sea grass etal

    Leena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go Shruti. That cake and the birthday celebrations look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very happy birthday to your son. Its indeed a proud moment for any parent. The cake looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your lil' HERO Shruti !! Totally loved your creation- a job beautifully done...must have been a proud moment for the birthday boy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My blessings to your little one Shruti. You seem to be a wiz at many things. The cake dose not look like it is a first attempt. Especially the fondant decoration and this come to you from a fairly expert baker with more than 40 years of baking and decorating cakes experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that cake!
    And what a clever idea with the soap. I have never seen blue Pears but I going to look for it now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...